Thursday, January 17, 2008

It feels like things are finally starting to take on a sense of normalcy after all of the hoopla with the weddings, the holidays, work, etc. The dust cloud has dissipated and I'm back to what is now my new life here in Almería with my new husband. Initially after we got married I think both of us went through a "growing pains" phase full of adjustments here and nips and tucks there to finally find our comfortable spot where the two of us serve as complements to one other rather than each one pulling for his own way and defending his own interests. After only three months of marriage I know that we still have a lot to learn, but I feel like we're closer now than ever before and our marriage is growing more and more solid with each passing day.
I earnestly desire to be the wife that God has called me to be- the virtuous woman of Proverbs 31 who is a blessing to her household and all who enter it; a woman who fears the Lord and seeks to honor Him as she serves her husband and her family. When we were engaged I bought a book called "The Excellent Wife," which is a traditional, Bible-based guide for Christian women who want to honor God in their marriage. At first I was unable to read certain parts of the book without throwing it down in irritation, and in retrospect I can see that I wasn't able to fully grasp some of the concepts that the author touches on because it wasn't my time to understand it. Now that I'm married, I can see a lot of things that I was unable to get before in terms of submission, being a help to my husband, taking charge of my role as "worker in the home," etc.
I found an on-line study guide to the book that I'm thinking about starting. In doing so, I'm confident that I'll learn even more about my role and responsibilities.

0 comments: