Friday, June 1, 2007

A few thoughts before bed


I'm still getting used to the time change here. Lately it's been really hard for me to get up in the morning, and I'm usually tired until mid-day. Then in the afternoon I'm wide awake up until about now, which is about 2am. Hopefully as the week continues to progress I'll be able to fully get over this jet lag.
Being here in Almería this time around makes me feel like I've never left. Every street, every highway, every building brings back some memory from last summer and it seems as though time kind of came to a standstill when I left and now has started up again. Hombre, there are plenty of things that have changed but the fact that most things that I remember from here are just like how they were when I left gives me the sensation that I'm home again and that I'm not just passing through. I'm very glad to be back here, and I'm even more thrilled to be reunited with all of the people that I came to know and love last summer. I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that I've made some life-long friends here.
Chechu and I have pretty much spent this entire week together, and I feel like that is exactly what I have needed to ease my adjustment. Last summer he had to work all day throughout the week so we barely saw each other except during the evenings when we would go to church and afterwards when he would take me out if there was time. You could safely say that I spent the summer with his mom and other members of the church rather than with him. At the time I grew somewhat frustrated with the arrangement, but in retrospect I see the wisdom in God's plan. (Usually the case :P) Then it was important for me to integrate myself into life here, get involved in the church and build an identity outside of my relationship with Chechu. At first it was very hard, but now like I said, I can see the fruit of that sacrifice. Today I went with Charo to the Women's bible study meeting to help watch the children who came with their mothers. I was really amazed by the reception that I received-- hugs and kisses from everyone and just a genuine sense of welcome home, we missed you and we're glad you're back.
I do miss my Mom and my sister a great deal though, and nothing will replace that. I know that it will take some time getting used to the fact that I'll be living here, but with time it will surely come. God has remained faithful to us all and I know that he will continue to strengthen us and cause us to lean more and more on Him. His plans for us are perfect and all we can do is rest on Him, knowing that all things will come in due season.
I still feel very saddened about Marcus' death and I miss him dearly. Every time I see a little dog here I can't help but think of him and remember his little face. I put his picture up in my room here. Looking at it makes me smile, seeing how silly he looked with his snowflake headband on, but it still hurts a lot knowing that he's gone. He is in a much better place though and I do take comfort in resting on that. I'll always miss him though.
Tomorrow there are more errands to run, including dropping off resumes at different places around the city. I know that God has control of everything, so I'm not even going to stress myself out about it.

0 comments: