Monday, July 16, 2007

Calmed down

While this past week has been difficult for me, it seems like things are finally starting to calm down a bit. Towards the end of last week I felt really uneasy about a lot of things, mostly little things, that had begun to accumulate into a big, emotionally-charged ordeal. After much coaxing, on Saturday afternoon before church I finally went to speak with Luchi about some of the things that I had been going through, mainly the whole issue about the wedding and whether or not my mom could walk me down the aisle. Initially I didn't feel like our conversation helped that much, but in retrospect I can see a lot of wisdom in what she shared with me. Our experiences have been similar in many ways and I know that if anyone here can understand what it's like to come to a different place and essentially start from scratch, it's her.

One of the things she told me was that God is teaching me to lean on Him and to look only to Him to supply every need that I have. He's brought me to a brand new place where everything is a discovery, and because of that I need to be strong in Him and strong in my faith. Neither Chechu nor anyone else here can give me what God can, and as I continue to integrate myself into this new culture I need to hold fast to His hand.

I'm here at the office during the second half of my day. I'm still getting used to the idea of coming to work in the morning, having a huge 3-hour break for lunch and then coming back to the office for another 3.5 hours. The days here seem so much longer in comparison to the workweek in the States, and I know it's got to be mostly due to the difference in schedules. In spite of that, however, I haven't had a hard time adapting.
I sent Marissa an email today, telling here that I'm not yet in love with this job, but it's definitely comfortable. I suppose that I still feel uneasy about working in an area that I am completely unfamiliar with and that Avelino has pretty much left me to take care of starting this project. On the one hand I'm glad that he's given me the freedom to start investigating and gather information without him guiding me on every step. That shows me that he has confidence in my abilities. I suppose however that by the same token, I fear not meeting his standards. But I know that if God has meant for me to be here, then He will enable me to do this job and do it well.

I recently applied for another job that's based in the States. It's a full-time QA editor position with a Translation agency in Grand Rapids. They had opened the position up to candidates living outside of Michigan who wanted to work from home, and therefore I applied. This afternoon I received an email from them, saying that they had received my application and that they were interviewing local candidates first before opening their consideration to those who would work remotely. I think the job would be a blessing in many ways, and all I can do is pray that if it's for me, I'll have it. Ideally I would enjoy working at home in the mornings and then going to teach during a few hours in the afternoon. I don't know-- God is the one in control, and all I can do is cast a wide net. What's for me is what I'll have. :)

Tonight after work we're going to Mª José's house to watch The Color Purple. It seems like Monday nights have turned into movie nights for the jóvenes, which has been a lot of fun. It's approaching 6:30 already--just about two hours left in the day and then it'll be time to head home. At least the days go by somewhat quickly here!

0 comments: