Friday, June 13, 2008

Friday update

Finally Friday, thank goodness. The transportation strike is still going on here, so it'll be another day without much to do in the office. The weather is oarticularly gorgeous today- perfect for laying out on the beach and relaxing :)

So I had my appointment with the gynecologist this morning, and it actually went pretty well, all things considered. My MIL went with me, and it was so comforting to have her there. If I had had to go alone I probably would have driven myself insane with how nervous I was--you'd think I'd never been to the gynecologist before. The doctor was an older gentleman- very professional and formal as well. The only thing I didn't like about the visit was the fact that we didn't really have a conversation about how I was feeling- the symptoms I had been experiencing, birth control, etc. Instead it was practically like an interview with short-answer questions. When I tried to expand a little bit on what I had been feeling he essentially cut me off, and I didn't like that. That attitude is very typical of doctors here, and that's one difference in health care that has been difficult for me to accept. I'm used to being able to dialogue with my health care provider, where she took the time to listen to my concerns and explain to me what was going on. Patients don't usually have that type of relationship with doctors here. It's all very cut and dry, with no questions asked. Sigh. In a perfect world we'd have universal healthcare and personable doctors and nurses who treat their patients on an eye-to-eye level instead of being condescending.

The actual exam went fine. The doctor found everything to be normal and said that if the pap results come back abnormal they'll contact me directly. Otherwise I'm to go back in September for a follow-up. I'll have to get another blood test done a couple weeks before the follow-up appointment, and knowing that my cholesterol status will come out on that report definitely gives me more than enough reason to step up my game diet-wise. I really want to see a low number this time around.

I'm really looking forward to this weekend! Tonight Chechu and I will be going out for tapas again with his mom. This is becoming our Friday night tradition, and it's proving to be a lot of fun as well. Tomorrow morning we have some errands to run, and later that afternoon we'll be having my brother in law and his wife over, which should definitely be a lot of fun too. I think we'll finally have the chance to try out the pool at our complex, so I'm looking forward to it. On Sunday we have church in the morning and later that afternoon two of our friends (who recently found out they're having a baby!) have invited us to a barbecue Argentinean-style :)

Can't wait for 8PM to finally get here!

2 comments:

Nona said...

Your doctor experience sounds a lot like mine ... sigh!!!

I am so glad that you are feeling better all round though. Sounds as though you have a very nice weekend planned. Enjoy!!!

Alli said...

So glad the doc appt went well... I am sorry they are not more open to speaking with you about your issues. that would really bug me!!! I hope that he will find any issues if there are issues to be found though.
Have a fab weekend my dear!!