Friday, June 6, 2008

Tying up loose ends..

In one of my favorite King of Queens episodes, Doug likens the weekend to a blank canvas, reasoning that you can paint it however you want. Even though I already know what I'll be getting into on Saturday and Sunday, the fact that I'm one half hour away from getting out of the office for two whole days to spend my time on my own terms just makes me smile. :)

I feel like a lot of things have come full circle this week:

1). After wracking my brain about the whole birth control issue, I've decided to take myself off the pill for good, in spite of the doctor's advice to continue. Since starting them last September, my mother has constantly expressed concern about the pills adversely affecting my health. Neither she nor my grandmother could use this method because of all the health risks the extra hormones posed to them. A month after starting the pill I had bloodwork done, showing no adverse effects. However, I consistently have had migrane headaches which I've just come to learn are a serious side effect brought on by the pill that can lead to a stroke. I told the doctor about the migranes when we went over my bloodwork last year, and she said that it was "no big deal." So, trusting her, I brushed it off. Granted, I haven't had a migrane headache in a while now, but after these cramping/nausea symptoms started last week, I really began to question my decision to use the pill. This morning, after reading about the migranes/headaches being a serious side effect, I definitively decided against using the pill. When I do go to the gynecologist next week, I'll be certain to discuss with him other natural options that Chechu and I can look into.

Both of us are 100% happy with this decision. I just wish that I would have informed myself more thoroughly when I first started considering birth control options last year.

2). My pregnant/not pregnant question mark has been quelled by the fact that I've just got my period. Granted, it was forced because I stopped taking the pill on Wednesday, but I feel better knowing that a) I don't have to plan for parenthood just yet and b) I can "start over" with a natural approach to family planning.

3). Amidst all the stress, I've managed to stay on the wagon this week. I weighed in this morning at 217.4, which shows no gain or loss from the last time I officially charted my weight. Fine by me. My plan is to get back on my exercise schedule next week and keep the progress going.

Hope you all have a great weekend!

1 comments:

Trisha J. said...

I think you are making a good decision for yourself.