Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Exercise angels vs. lazy demons

It's so crazy to think about how motivated I was to exercise this time TWO weeks ago. My desire for working out is slowly but surely coming back though which, at the very least, is a start. From the looks of it, however, I won't be getting back into the routine until tomorrow, which I find excitingly irritating. Why? Because two days ago I couldn't have cared less.

In the course of an hour, my schedule today has become completely full, therefore making it essentially impossible to do anything that even resembles exercise today. My original plan was to work out tonight after Bible study, but it turns out that today is my boss's birthday and he's graciously invited all of us, spouses included, to dinner tonight. So that translates to no evening workout. After lunch Chechu and I will be going out to find some kind of birthday gift for Avelino and immediately afterwards I have to meet Alejandra at church from 4-5 for our GOE. So no afternoon session of Turbo Jam either. Damn.

I suppose that I could squeeze in a super late night workout, seeing that it'll probably be midnight before we get back home. But, at the end of a non-stop day that just wouldn't be very realistic. Given the fragile, budding state of my newfound motivation I'd hate to set myself up for failure this quick. I'd rather plan to get up earlier tomorrow morning to exercise- a more practical challenge at this point.

So here are some positives, big and small, that I'm noticing about myself thus far:

  1. I didn't take a nap yesterday, and I won't be taking one today either. I see how much more productive I am without the mid-day siesta, and in using that time more efficiently I'm undoubtedly doing myself a favor for weight loss. Since the weather is getting nicer I'd really like to get out and start walking / jogging in the afternoons before returning to work. The key (and challenge) will be getting Chechu to join me.
  2. I'm starting to go for more fruits and salads. My salads are becoming more and more creative. Balsamic vinegar is amazing.
  3. Chechu bought more Tosta Rica breakfast/snack crackers yesterday and I haven't touched one. I REFUSE to open the box!
  4. I got up "early" this morning at 8:15. I didn't want to get out of bed at that hour, but I did anyway. Thanks to that, I had a very productive morning cleaning the rest of the house, putting in a load of laundry and cooking lunch for this afternoon.
  5. I've come down .2 pounds since yesterday. Every tenth counts.

My conclusion: In spite of my roller-coaster week, I see how my habits are changing. I'm winning the war against the lazy demons, as I'm growing more and more disciplined with each passing day.


0 comments: