Wednesday, March 12, 2008

It's been another one of those days I guess. Everything started off well this morning though-- I was up at 8:30 doing Turbo Jam, and then finished picking up a few things around the house before leaving for work. I got to the office and as the hours passed I got more and more bored, and then I got even more irritated by my boredom. And that sort of spilled over into an overall "what the hell am I doing here?" attitude which, frankly, I haven't entirely shaken yet today. I feel bad that I let my bad mood somewhat damper my lunch break with Chechu. I'm just tired of being irritated.

My adjustment to life here in Spain has been a longer process than what I originally thought. Living overseas temporarily as a study-abroad student versus building a life and a family in another country couldn't be anymore different. There are days when I just love it here; I feel totally integrated in the culture and way of life, my Spanish is on point, I understand 110% of every conversation and I just feel at home. Then there are other days, like today, where those feelings are the exact opposite and I feel like a fish out of water-- like I don't belong anywhere, least of all here.

I'm really looking forward to this weekend's retreat- more than I ever have since signing up. It'll definitely be the disconnect I need from everything, where I'll be able to focus solely on me and God. I'm excited about everything we're going to receive there, and I'm anxious to come back feeling renewed.

1 comments:

briy said...

Hi there! :)

I was just surfing the Healthy You Challenge blogs and happened upon yours. Then I had to leave a comment on this particular post. I've been living in South Korea for the past 8 months, so I definitely have similar feelings often (and I'm not nearly as good at Korean as you obviously are at Spanish)! But like you said... there's days when I love it and there's days when I feel completely out of my depth--it's never a good feeling.

Anyway, I hope your retreat goes well and you have a lot more "loving it!" days in the coming weeks than the alternative. We have to feel good to keep losing weight.

Good luck!
-briy