Thursday, August 2, 2007

Thursday already...

Hard to believe that it's almost Friday and that we've moved into the first part of August. This time last year I was getting ready to go back to Pittsburgh with Chechu-- needless to say this summer we'll be spending the month of August right here in Almería. I'm excited about seeing the Feria though- everyone constantly talks about how great it is. Chechu isn't a huge fan of large crowds, and neither am I quite frankly, but I'm sure that he'll make the effort to go with me at least a few times to check it out.

After much prayer and thought, we've both come to the realization that buying a house right now isn't the best option for us financially. Considering the housing market such as it is here in Spain, on top of the other expenses that we are going to have to put out for the wedding, etc., it makes no sense to go into a mortgage now. It's funny to me how people here almost consider the idea of renting an apartment to be sinful, since you're literally paying some one else to live in their space. Obviously since I come from a different culture, the idea of renting an apartment for a couple just starting out is as normal as can be.

We're thinking that the first part of September would be ideal to move into the apartment that we choose. Both of us like the idea of living here in Aguadulce, removed from Almería and pretty much everyone that we know. I am particularly drawn to this part of town- it looks like a tropical haven right next to the water.
This afternoon we had lunch with Rosa Mari, Sergio and Esther. Abraham owns the apartment where she and her family are currently living, and since they're leaving at the beginning of September, ideally Chechu and I could move in right afterwards. It really is an adorable apartment, and it reminds me a lot of the apartment Riss and I shared in Granada. A couple of the rooms could be painted a different color to better suit our taste and I'm sure that Abraham would have no problem with that. So we'll see. I'm definitely getting exicted about finding an apartment and moving in. The wedding is coming up sooo fast, and it'll be October in no time. Everyone keeps telling me that.

I can't believe this week has flown by so fast. Certainly not complaining though :)

Next week, aside from continuing to look at apartments, I have to get the wedding invitations mailed out to Riss and Mom so that they can get working on them. That will be a huge load off our shoulders. We also have to distribute them here in Almería, which will hopefully take place within the next couple of weeks.

0 comments: