Friday, April 25, 2008

Blessing in disguise

Cold-wise, I'm feeling much better this morning. I'm still on the cold medication and it's working slowly but surely. Hopefully by Sunday I'll be all cleared up.

Last night I didn't leave work until after 9pm. Yeah, I was pretty irritated about it. Mostly because I had to cancel my tutoring session with Jen since we obviously weren't going to have enough time to get through everything before Chechu came to pick me up. Thankfully she said that she understands the new topic they're studying in class pretty well (modal verbs) so the fact that we missed our session yesterday wasn't exactly crucial. We've rearranged to meet next Tuesday evening to review for her quiz the following day.

I got home by 9:30 and sat on my couch for a while, debating whether or not to take advantage of the extra hour I had to myself to workout. I finally decided to go through with it, and I am so glad that I did. I was able to complete the entire Turbo Jam workout, and I ended up gloriously drenched in sweat. I felt so good about myself afterwards- not just in the physical sense but mentally as well. That was exactly the motivational boost that I needed, and I'm so glad that I took advantage of my extra time productively. I got on the scale this morning and I've reached a new low! 218.4!! I'm not sure if I can attribute that to my workout last night or to TOM's exit. Or both. Either way, I'm thrilled with the results. I'm 3.4 pounds away from my goal for next Wednesday. It's a stretch, but I'm sure that with some extra hard work this weekend I'll be able to pull it off.

I've been thinking a lot about my exercise dilemma over the past couple days. One of the biggest pieces of advice I've received has been to build my exercise schedule around what works best for me, rather than setting unrealistic goals for myself and failing miserably at each attempt.

A-ha moment.

For as much as I'd love to be a morning person, I'm just not. That's who I am, and I have to accept it. Getting up early for me has always been a challenge, and barring a miracle it probably always will be. So, in light of that, I need to schedule my workouts either during my afternoon break or in the evenings after work. I'm quite positive that I'll have better results with this plan.

I'm off to the youth retreat this evening, and I'm pretty excited about it. We leave directly after work to head up to Granada, and we'll be back at some point Sunday afternoon. Even though I know I'll have a great time, I miss Chechu already! Hopefully we'll leave earlier on Sunday and that way he and I will have the entire afternoon to spend together and catch up :)

Have a great weekend, all!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the loss on the scales, that must be a great start to the weekend.

In answer to your question on my blog, i've lived in Oz off and on for 3 years, i stayed for a year on a working holiday then went back to Ireland, got married and moved back here 15months later. I haven't been home in 2 years because of ill health but i have been very fortunate to have my family come here for months at a time to support me. A trip back is not on the cards at the moment, but perhaps july/august 2009. I'm not bothered because i'm still in contact with everyone on a daily basis, but it would be nice to go back for the food. I miss the food hehe.

I hope you have a lovely weekend away. I look forward to hearing all about it when you get back. Take care xo

Alli said...

Congrats on the loss!!! I am glad you have worked through the change in plans and ended up with a nice workout-- that does wonders for the work stress too.
I hope you have an awesome time at the retreat and are blessed amazingly for giving your time to go.
Talk soon!

Christina said...

thanks for stopping by my blog...I always love meeting new people :)