Thursday, April 3, 2008

What a difference a day makes

Yesterday started off rough. For no good reason I arrived at the office in another one of those "living abroad kind of sucks" attitudes that tend to creep up on me from time to time. I got to work and was informed that I have to jump through some additional bureaucratic hoops in order to get my social security card and have access to the worker benefits I'm entitled to. In all honesty it's not that big of a deal I guess- I just have to go to the Social Security office, fill out a form and turn it in with my green card (it's actually green, hehe). With that I'll be assigned a temporary SS card until the actual one comes in the mail. Not a big deal by any means, but given my mood yesterday morning I could only see it as yet another hassle.

After finding all that out, my other co-worker made a comment about how untidy our office was. Cristina isn't a fan of cleaning at all, and while I do enjoy keeping up with my chores at home, I tend to check all that at the door when I walk in to work. Since I don't dirty the office with cigarrette ashes or paper clippings like others do, I've never taken on an active role in keeping it neat and clean. In addition to that, I've always distanced myself from the office too, and the feeling of not belonging 100% has lead to my passive attitude towards it.
That started to change yesterday. María's remark was the straw that broke the camel's back, and I broke down. I was angry about everything that had happened that morning, mainly the negative attitude that I couldn't seem to shake. After seeing how upset I was, she got upset thinking that her comment was what made me cry. She insisted on cleaning my portion of the office so that I could sit down, relax and pull myself together. So what was initially a tense moment turned into a bonding/therapy session between the three of us. Two days ago I was certain that María didn't like me, and yesterday she was totally supportive and encouraging. She apologized for her harsh tone that comes out from time to time and I've learned to accept her personality. I've always been on good terms with Cristina, and I think María and I have turned over a new leaf in our relationship as well.

Today marks day three of the diet, and things are progressing wonderfully! I've been weighing myself daily since Tuesday just to follow the results, and I'm currently down to 221.2!! That's over five pounds in two days! I'm positive it's all water weight anyway, since I had fallen way out of the normal weight range that I've been in over the past several months. But nonetheless, seeing that drop is incredibly motivating, and I hope to lose a few more pounds before my official weigh in next Tuesday.

Admittedly I've been doing minimal exercise this week thus far. But something is better than nothing at all, right? On Tuesday night I did about 15 minutes of TaeBo, and yesterday I did about 20 minutes of brisk walking. While brief, these workouts have merited a star on my calendar, and I hope to add another one today. My goal is to exercise four days a week.

I'm looking forward to this weekend. On Sunday we have the entire day to ourselves, and I'm excited about spending an full, carefree day with my husband.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

5lbs in 2 days is amazing, well done. I think you have the right attitude and approach to the exercise, take it nice and easy at the beginning and then you are more likely to continue it and not dread it.

Alli said...

Im sorry you had a mini breakdown yesterday... sometimes things just pile up on us and we have to release it by getting upset. I am glad that it did make you closer to your coworkers though-- that will be more important in the long run Im sure!
Congrats on the 5lbs thats AWESOME!!

Alli said...

Hey girl how was your weekend?